2023 GRAND TOTAL
Wow! What an incredible month we had!
We’ve now officially wrapped the 15th anniversary of Gamers for Giving. It was a momentous occasion, supported by gamers across the internet who united to make play possible for kids in hospitals.
This year’s format looked a little different from recent history. For the first time, we dedicated an entire week to fundraising. We also brought back our traditional LAN party, the first we’ve organized in nearly 4 years! To us, this was the best of both worlds. Our goal was to provide as many people as possible the opportunity to be a part of this year’s event.
In those seven days, over 320 creators and 15 teams from around the internet came together for #GFG2023, with the final two days culminating alongside our LAN party! Hundreds of gaming enthusiasts across different generations filled the George Gervin GameAbove Center at Eastern Michigan University.
The energy online and in our hometown was both infectious and inspiring. Broadcasters lit up the internet, dedicating hours upon hours of their time to streams that rallied their communities for the kids!
Meanwhile, over at the LAN, folks wheeled in their impressive PC setups (providing some unreal visual enhancements to the room) to game together, compete, and connect. All ticket sales and proceeds from the LAN party were contributions towards the campaign.
Together, we hit one of our milestones! In total, we raised over $534,000!
And while that number is massive - we like to focus on what that number actually means.
In short, it means we’re helping A LOT of kids for years to come by fostering moments of joy and normalcy through video games.
The funds raised from this year’s event will enable the following:
- We’ll deploy 100 units of our newest GO Kart model, 3.0, to hospitals from our wishlist. Gamers for Giving 2023 alone will provide an estimated 290,000 gaming experiences each year.
- Facilities that have our older GO Kart units will receive equipment upgrades to their existing units. Updated consoles and added game titles are just part of the package.
- For our newer program, Save Point, we’re now able to fully stock our machine through the end of the year so that patients have access to free gaming swag as they progress through treatment.
In total, GFG had over 7,700 unique contributions with the average donation sitting at $67 and the median was $20.
During GFG, we also made a handful of announcements providing the latest happenings at Gamers Outreach.
- We introduced Johnny Hou as the latest addition to the Gamers Outreach Board of Directors (read more).
- We officially moved Save Point out of beta and have a fully functioning distribution hub at Methodist Children’s that’s proving to be impactful for patients in more ways than one (read more).
- We introduced the physical prototype of our latest GO Kart model - GO Kart 3.0 (read more).
We’ve made it our quest to help ensure kids in hospitals have access to play. Through play, kids are able to socialize, learn and make sense of the world.
It’s thanks to your generosity that games are being deployed in healthcare facilities around the world.
To everyone who streamed – we appreciate you joining us and spreading this message to your communities.
To everyone who attended the LAN party - we hope you enjoyed its return as much as we did!
To everyone who volunteered, the LAN wouldn’t have been possible without you.
To everyone who donated – thank you for entrusting us with your contribution and helping make an impact in the lives of hospitalized families.
To everyone who watched or spread the word – your support has built greater awareness of the impact all of us can make as gamers.
We can’t wait to put these resources to work throughout the year. Keep up with Gamers Outreach happenings by checking our website or following us on social media @gamersoutreach.
See you at the next one!
**GFG2023 campaign total is current as of the publishing of this blog post.